Tue, 18 Apr|
Video & Content Online
Workshop: Teachers — Level 1
Designed for elementary and middle-school teachers, as well as other education professionals.
18 Apr 2023, 12:00
Video & Content Online
About The Workshop
By participating in our Workshop for Teachers Level 1, you will discover a wealth of fascinating astronomy topics, all linked to your school’s curriculum.
This workshop is for you if you’re looking to prepare a lesson plan, and answer your students’ questions with confidence!
What is the format?
Each week, you will get access to a new series of videos to watch on your own time. We will also provide you with activities and resources for you to look over. Furthermore, we will have live online office hours where you can join us if you have questions.
- Week 1: The Night Sky
- Week 2: Sun-Earth-Moon System
- Week 3: From the Earth to Infinity
The total number of hours estimated to cover the entire content is about 10 hours over the three weeks of the workshop. As there are no final exams, you are welcome to take in as much, or as little of the workshop as you want! We know your life as a teacher is busy so our goal is to make the workshop as accessible as possible.
Who is it for?
The topics covered in the workshop are found in the pan-Canadian grade 6 curriculum. Since every province adapts this curriculum to their own needs, we invite interested teachers from grades 5 through 8 to join us. Other teachers and education professionals are also welcome.
The main topics covered during the workshop are:
- the sky and the constellations
- motions of the Earth and the seasons
- Moon phases and eclipses
- the Solar System
- our place in the Universe
Astronomy is a vast subject and therefore impossible to cover entirely in a few hours! This workshop will provide you with resources and help you gain more confidence teaching basic astronomy.
At the end of the workshop, you will:
- be more familiar with many curriculum astronomy topics
- have interesting activities ready to use in class
- have access to teaching material adapted to your class
- be more familiar with the sky through observations made during this workshop
- have discovered some tricks and tips to help you teach astronomy
- feel overall better-equipped to teach this fascinating subject to your students
Questions? Contact us!
This workshop is also offered in French.