Workshop: Teachers — Level 2
About The Workshop
Our Workshop for Teachers - Level 2 helps teachers with a variety of astronomy topics often covered in secondary school. This workshop is for you if you’re looking to prepare a lesson plan, and answer your students’ questions with confidence!
What is the format?
Each week, you will get access to a new series of videos to watch on your own time. We will also provide you with activities and resources for you to look over. Furthermore, we will have live online office hours where you can join us if you have questions (exact time to be determined).
- Week 1: Solar System (solar activity, gravity, impacts, and craters)
- Week 2: History of the Universe (Big Bang, life and death of stars, formation of the Solar System)
- Week 3: Are we alone in the Universe? (search for life in our Solar System and beyond)
The total number of hours estimated to cover the entire content is about 10 hours over the three weeks of the workshop. As there are no final exams, you are welcome to take in as much, or as little of the workshop as you want! We know your life as a teacher is busy so our goal is to make the workshop as accessible as possible.
Who is it for?
This astronomy workshop is designed for secondary school teachers. The concepts covered in this workshop link to the grade 9 curriculum from most provinces. However, we welcome teachers of all levels as well as any education professionals who might benefit from this workshop.
It might be useful, but it is not necessary to take our Workshop for Teachers - Level 1 before taking this Workshop -Level 2.
At the end of this workshop, you will:
- be more familiar with many curriculum astronomy topics
- have interesting activities ready to use in class
- have access to teaching material adapted to your class
- have discovered online resources to help you in the future
- have discovered some tricks and tips to help you teach astronomy
- feel overall better-equipped to teach this fascinating subject to your students
Questions? Contact us!
This workshop is also offered in French.