February 4 2019
Workshop for Teachers 2019 — LEVEL 1
Designed for elementary and middle-school teachers, as well as other education professionals.
Many teachers feel overwhelmed or uncomfortable with astronomy, which is why Discover the Universe offers online astronomy workshops for educators. By participating in our Workshop for Teachers Level 1, you will discover a wealth of fascinating astronomy topics, all linked to your school’s curriculum.
This workshop is for you if you’re looking to prepare a lesson plan, and answer your students’ questions with confidence!
What is the format?
The workshop is three weeks long, consisting of assignments and activities punctuated by three (3) webinars a week which can be viewed live or on-demand following the live event. Each webinar takes place on Wednesday at 3:30 pm ET is one hour long and will cover different topics:
- The Night Sky, February 6
- Sun-Earth-Moon System, February 13
- From the Earth to Infinity, February 20
By registering, you will also gain access to activities and resources ready for use in your classroom. The only requirements are a computer with audio and a high-speed internet connection.
Who is it for?
The topics covered in the workshop are found in the pan-Canadian grade 6 curriculum. Since every province adapts this curriculum to their own needs, we invite interested teachers from grades 5 through 8 to join us. Other teachers and education professionals are also welcome.
The main topics covered during the workshop are:
- the sky and the constellations
- motions of the Earth and the seasons
- Moon phases and eclipses
- the Solar System
- our place in the Universe
Astronomy is a vast subject and therefore impossible to cover entirely in a few hours! This workshop will provide you with resources and help you gain more confidence teaching basic astronomy.
At the end of the workshop, you will:
- be more familiar with many curriculum astronomy topics
- have interesting activities ready to use in class
- have access to teaching material adapted to your class
- be more familiar with the sky through observations made during this workshop
- have discovered some tricks and tips to help you teach astronomy
- feel overall better-equipped to teach this fascinating subject to your students
The workshop is now over. The content is only accessible to participants.
This workshop is also offered in French.